Monday, August 20, 2012

Anniversary Weekend

Well, Andrew and I made it to 10 years...We have a hard time thinking that it has been that long but when you look at everything (7 addresses, a house, two dogs, one cat, two kids) that has happened over the last 10 year...it really does seem like a long time.  It is funny how time can do that, seem so short and so long at the same time.  Ever since we had kids I have felt like my days DRAG on (and on), but the time has gone by SO fast.  Anyway, we started our weekend with dinner in AZ with our friends.  We had a pretty large turn out since I decided we were going to do something about 2 weeks in advance.  It was lovely.  Then, Andrew and I got up early on Saturday (well not that early for us anymore) and went away for the weekend.  We decided to fly to Vegas...which was perfect less than an hour flying.  We stayed at the Palazzo, which is next to the Venetian.  I had lots of raving recommendations for this place, but I was not too impressed. It was a more expensive hotel, but I don't think it was worth the extra money.  The room was very nice, but in need of some upkeep (example is the couch was missing buttons), and our room was not ready until after the guaranteed check-in time.
We spent extra for the concierge service and lounge which turned out to the the best money spent.  We had breakfast all 3 mornings we were there (we only stayed 2 nights, but we were there early enough to catch breakfast Saturday).  Plus we got hors d'ouvres and free happy hour for 3 hours.  We (being the big gamblers we are) sat in the lounge and ate/drank and read books...both nights...I know...but we really just wanted to get away and do nothing.  But I skipped the morning...Saturday, after we check in, had second breakfast, we explored the resorts and had lunch then headed to the spa for massages.  They were expensive, but very good.  We then headed up to the lounge and waited for our room (we read our books and snacked on the 'soda and snacks' they had available all day.) Once in the room, we unpacked and changed...headed back to the lounge for happy hour and then went to dinner at Morel's.  Which again I was not that impressive.  For a fancy restaurant, we had three courses and were done in an hour. We were kind of hoping for a more relaxed dinner.  We decided not to gamble and turn in early (which was not really early for us, it was the regular time, but felt early because we were in Vegas and things were just starting to happen.  Then we slept...and slept...until almost 9AM...which is the first time we both slept that late, uninterrupted by kids and animals, well...since we had kids and animals.  Sunday, we had breakfast and walked down the strip to New York, New York and picked up our tickets for Zoomanity. The strip is SO different, now with city center done and the Mile Mall.  But it was the same because they had people trying to get you to go to shows and gamble as you were walking down the street.  We rode back on the Monorail, because Andrew loves monorails.  Had lunch and then went back to the room.  We watched the movie Troy (which was also complimentary from the concierge), then went to the lounge for happy hour then headed out to a taxi for the show.  Zoomanity is a Cirque de Sole (or whatever) and it is always amazing to watch the people contort and do strength things that must take hours of training.  I have put in the posts before, that Andrew always gets picked to go up on stage...well...the shoe was on the other foot this time and I was the one who got picked.  Lucky me.  Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything (that I thought was) too embarrassing, and it definitely made it a show that I will never forget.  Monday morning, we had a leisurely morning, then checked out of the hotel and went to the airport...I guess all good things must come to an end.  Plus, the kids missed us.  Jillian made me hold her for about 20 minutes before she was willing to have me put her down!

1 comment:

Nepsi said...

Amazing! I came across pictures from your wedding when I was looking for pics for vi's book. Hard to believe it has been so long.