Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The bite...and Vacation here we come

Well, we made it through another long absence from Grandma. I think we did okay, but I am exhausted. I am very looking forward to going on Vacation. I just wanted to post some of the pictures I took during the last couple of weeks and tell you about Henry and his latest issue. But before I dive into that, just a quick update on Jillian. She had a very 'busy' weekend. She is now saying 'da da', and generally only says it to Andrew. Not sure if that is coincidence, of if she is starting to recognize her daddy. This is much preferred to the squawk she was doing a few weeks ago (she sounded like a pterodactyl...it was so fun!). Plus she is now rolling over in both directions. She has not figured out if she keeps rolling in one direction that she can actually get somewhere, but at least she can get from tummy to back to tummy now. In preparation for our vacation, I have ordered and delivered diapers and baby food to NY. Turns out, that works out well. Granted, the food was expensive, but that will save me from having to make baby food at the trailer. Andrew and I had a 'one sided' discussion about being practical on vacation. So, I gave up and just ordered food.
I was debating whether or not to send Henry to school the day before we left for vacation. I decided that the 4 hours Henry-free, would be well spent packing and cleaning getting ready for our vacation. Turns out it was a bad idea. On Monday we went swimming and he was a little crazy in the water. He was jumping around with another little girl and then she bumped her head on the wall. I was not quite sure if Henry pushed her or bumped into her, but the girl just told her mom she was jumping and she hit her head. Now, I am telling you this because after his behavior on Tuesday at school, I think there is a possibility that he did push her. At school on Tuesday, Andrew dropped him off at 7:30, Jillian went down for her nap at 8, so I was able to pack for a little over a hour before I got a call from the school that Henry bit one of the little girls. I was so shocked and embarrassed. The have a no-bite policy, so I had to pick him up. From what I can tell, he told me 3 different versions of a similar story, is that he wanted to play with his friend Ava, but she didn't want to play so he bit her. All summer long he has been telling me stories about her, so I know it was not a malicious act, but still...biting...come on. He is so verbal that I think it took everyone at the school in shock. I should add that he hit 3 times before the bite (not sure if it was Ava or other friends), but I don't think that they ever thought he would bite. So, as we approach a new school year...he is going to be labeled as a biter. I didn't know what to do, if I should send an apology to the parents, but I honestly ran out of time before we left. I figured that sending something from me to the parents two weeks after the event would sound hollow. So, I had Henry make a picture for his friend, and I wrote what he told me to. The conversation went like this:
Me: "What do you want me to write for you?"
Henry: "Love Ava."
Me: "You want me to write you love Ava."
Henry: "Yeah"
Me: "Well, why did you make Ava a picture?"
Henry: "Because I bit Ava."
Me: "So do you think you should say your sorry in the letter?"
Henry: "Yeah...Love Ava like a volcano."
Me: "So, put 'Sorry for biting you. I love you like a volcano.'
Henry: "YEAH!"

So the apology says 'Dear Ava, I am sorry for biting you. I love you like a volcano. Your friend, Henry." Ahhh...I think it might be his first love letter.
Henry Skypeing with Grandma.  He wanted to share his food with her.




No comments: