Sunday, May 3, 2009

A whole new world

We have been in Oregon for 11 days now...and I think the longest stretch Henry has slept has been 2 hours. I know he just needs to get settled, but Andrew and I are both exhausted from trying to get Henry to sleep. We keep hoping that he will adjust soon so please keep your fingers crossed.

We are really enjoying where we are living. We have a great location. It is very centrally located in the Tanesborne area. So we have lots of shopping, restaurants, and playgrounds (with baby swings!) within walking distance. The only problem is that we are so programmed for AZ weather. The sun shines, everyday, pretty much all day. Here the sun can be shining one minute and then pouring rain the next...then sunny after about 30 minutes. So, sometime by the time we get all ready to go...it is raining. Then Henry will start to get sleepy and the sun will come out. Oh well, I guess there is only a few more weeks left of the rain. Then it will be summertime and from what I remember it won't rain as much.
We also bought a jogging stroller that Henry seems to like. He has been out a few times in it and he likes to look at everything (they have squirrels here, which he LOVES, but we don't have in AZ). Unfortunately for us, being on the 3rd floor and all, the stroller is HUGE and is difficult to navigate up and down the stairs. We do our "King Henry" impression now after trying a bunch of different ways to get it up and down the stairs, one person carries the front tire and the other carries the handlebars. Which I tell Andrew is the arm part of our workout. I am loving the website www.mapmyrun.com. It interacts with google maps and you can plot where you are going and it will tell you how far you are going to walk. Pretty cool.
Since I was not here with Andrew last time, he knows the area better than I do, but I am starting to get my bearings. We have a wine store just outside our complex which is turning out to be a very good and bad thing. Very good because it is easy to walk over and get a bottle of wine...I guess very bad for the same reason.

Henry and I are enjoying the cable companies "Toddler tunes", which features songs for babies. Some of them we all know (like The Wheels on the Bus or Old McDonald), and some of them are not so well known like "Great Big Poo". And I know I am creative, but I can't make up kid songs that funny, or oddly enough inspiring.
Andrew started back to work today. His three weeks of "vacation" are up. He had to go into work 2 days last week, but other than that it has been nice to have him here to take care of Henry while I was running out doing errands. We will see how this week goes. Andrew is going to carpool, so I should be able to have the car a couple of times a week. But like I said before everything is within walking distance.

The biggest news is that Henry is now officially crawling. Hands and Knees crawling. Still a little slow and unsteady, but he is getting the hang of it really fast. He can also push himself up to a seated position from the crawling position. Oh...my baby is growing up so FAST! Today for the first time he pulled himself up to a standing position on the chair. I guess this means we have to start lifting the side of his crib.

Henry also had his first temperature last week. He was SO fussy. We figured it was either teething, or just trying to get used to the apartment. But on Friday AM he had a very low fever. Of course, I panic because it is his first temperature. We took him to the doctor and he had a little bit of mucus in one of his ears, but not an ear infection (thank goodness), so he said it was probably just drainage from his stuffy nose. He is feeling better now. We just keep hoping that was another reason for the lack of sleep.

I am going to try to get some video of Henry up for you all to see. But if I can't because I am too tired to figure it out, here are some pictures.






No comments: