Friday, July 31, 2009

HOT HOT HOT

This week has been full of trying to keep cool. We bought the AC unit last week, but we were not expecting it to get this hot EVER in OR. You know it is hot when you are checking to see if the weather in Portland is hotter than in Phoenix. My mom also told me that there was a piece in the Phoenix news about how hot it is here. There has been no relief...we had 3 days over 100 this week. We tried to camp out in the living room with the AC unit, but it just could not keep up. So we moved everything into the master suite and were much more comfortable. Henry's crib is in the closet, we moved the bed over to the window so there is a little bit of space for Henry to play. I have been trying to get out atleast once a day so Henry can walk around. We have got to storytime at 3 different libraries, a church which was a "cooling center", and Sign and Sing class again at the library. Today it is only supposed to be in the lower 90s, but it is SO much more tolerable. Henry was actually able to play out in the fountain at the library. I think he had a good time, but I don't think he really likes to get splashed in the face, but then again who does? He also fell a couple of times because it was slick, but I think it startled him more than hurt him.

I am also happy to report that Henry is officially standing up on his own. He no longer needs to crawl to a wall/person/table to pull up to stand up. He has done it about 10 time so far today. We also got a Library card. So, I am going to find some new music CDs for us, plus they have a very nice selection of board books for babies at two of the libraries. I am sure Henry won't mind reading some new stuff. Henry is also starting to climb. He pushed his Nemo toy car over to the side table and climbed up onto the couch this week. He only did it once, but since the AC unit is in the bedroom we have not spent a whole lot of time out by the couch. He has also been trying to climb into the bathtub. He loves the water! I have been working on having him climb down and I think he gets the theory (he can do it) but for some reason walking straight off the step, chair, couch is so much more fun. Henry has also been going out in the evening too. I usually try to limit his stimulation every day, but going out to a nice cool AC restaurant is so much nicer than eating on the floor of your bedroom. Last night we walked (yes...walked, it is right across the street, but it was still HOT) to Buffalo Wild Wings. We met up with all the other Intel people who don't have AC. Henry did really well there, but considering there are about 15 different TV shows on, plus it is so loud he can't do his pterodactyl (he screeches) impression and disturb the whole restaurant, it was a pretty pleasant experience for us, which was a first. Usually we are trying to eat so fast to get out of the restaurant that it is not too enjoyable. But now I guess I know what type of restaurants we need to go to if we want to take our time.

This weekend we are doing a "date night" at a cafe that has a play center for the kids. Plus we are going to attempt to go to the County Fair. They have a horse show on Friday and I think Henry will enjoy it. Then on Sunday, we have a potluck to go to with one of my Mom Groups, so a busy weekend. Then next week...if you can believe it...Henry turns one! And we are going back to AZ for a HUGE party and lot of fun.








No comments: