Monday, August 3, 2009

Fun at the Fair!


This past weekend we went to the Washington County Fair. I was a little bit hesitant because it was still going to be over 90 degrees on Sunday, but Andrew was really looking forward to taking Henry...so we packed lots of water...or so we thought (we had water bottles that inadvertently got left on the kitchen counter). We got to the fair early, which was lucky for us since it was not very busy. We started by seeing all the animals that the 4-H kids were presenting. Henry has started doing some signs to us and pretty much every animal we saw that had hair was a "dog" to him. He really liked the rabbits, but he just kept looking at them, looked at me signing "Rabbit", then looked at the rabbits and signed "dog". I am just so happy that he is actually signing, I am happy with calling all animal dogs for now. Henry has also developed a fear of cows. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I have a "peek a boo barn" game on my iTouch that Henry used to like, but now when the cow "Peek-a-boos" he buries his face and cries like the cow is Lord Voldemort. We were a little nervous to see what he would actually do when he was around a real cow, but he did just fine. Called them "dogs" and we went on our way. We saw all the barn yard animals, cows, sheep, goats, chickens, roosters, horses, pigs, plus rabbits, turkeys, and a whole bunch of exotic birds. We were even able to see a rooster crowing contest and a pig race. They had rides there, but they would not let Henry go on the Merry-go-Round saying he was too small (I didn't think he was too small for anything. I think the lady saw him in the stroller and decided since he was not walking around he was to young. They had a quilt contest, baked good contest, knitting contest, plus a garden that made us miss our raised bed in AZ. Andrew and I treated ourselves to a lemonade and a deep fried snickers bar. Which unfortunately sounded a lot better than it tasted...but at least we can say we have had one. Next time we will try the Oreos.

The best fun was had when Henry discovered how to use the "duck slide" . You used a hand water pump to start the water flow then you put the rubber duckies on the slide and they slid down to the bucket at the end. He was actually picking them up and putting them on the slide. It is amazing how much he has changed and learned in the last few weeks!





No comments: