Monday, December 7, 2009

Mechanical Failures...


What a week. I had plans to blog late last week, because Henry did something cute and I wanted to share, but it was quickly pushed out of my mind.

So, last Monday I had issues with the Jeep. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep...but the fact that it starts sometimes and not others is really wearing on me. There is something wrong with the electrical system and it seems like if it sits for more than 2 days the battery drains. Since I am a SAHM (that is Stay at Home Mom), there is no guarantee that I will drive my car everyday. I have been trying to bulk up our schedule, but it always seem like we have nothing to do on Thursdays and Fridays (tie that in with the weekend) and my Jeep can sit for 4 days without being started. I am very lucky that my mom lives with us, because as I was running late (something that I frequently do now that I have Henry) and then the Jeep didn't start, I was able to throw the car seat into my mom's car and just be more late. Due to safety issues with having a baby (and a car that every time you get in you cross your fingers that it starts), Andrew has decided to sacrifice his new car to be the baby-mobile and drive the Jeep to work everyday.


Then on Thursday, the weather actually got pretty cold (cold for AZ anyway). Upon trying to turn on the heat, we found that the air was very cold. Which is not supposed to happen. I called a repair company out, they said the compressor needed to be replaced. I am going to try to make this as un-confusing as possible. When we added my mom's addition, we replaced the compressor to all of our air conditioner units. The the guys who did the work (company A) did such a horrendous job that we decided that we would find a new company (company B) to service our units. So, a year ago company B came and replaced our air handler (the part that is in the attic). Company B said since they didn't install the compressor unit (outside), they can't replace the compressor under warentee and we would have to pay for a new one. So we (very begrudgingly) called company A to come back and replace the compressor. Company A was mad at us for using company B, came out looked at the unit said "Yep, its the compressor. I refuse to service this unit because you had company B change the air handler and they screwed something up. They need to replace it". So we had to wait until today to call company B back to find out that they still cannot replace the compressor under warentee, but we can replace the entire unit. So...we are in a cold snap without heat...Lovely...Plus, by the time everything gets straightened out, I am pretty sure that it won't be cold anymore and we won't need the heat.

Henry had his weight check appointment today. He gained about 6 oz. So the doctor was happy. We have to keep him on Soy until he is 18 months, when he says most kids can more easily digest cow's milk. And said even if their computer system was wrong, during 12-15 months he should have gained more than 2 oz. He looked back and said that since his weight basically plateaued since 9 months (24 lbs at 9 months to 25lbs 12 oz at 16 months), he is a little concerned. If Henry is not over 26 by his 18 month appt, we will probably have to get some blood work done to make sure that everything is going okay. So, hope that he keeps eating the Peanut Butter and Jelly, plus the Hot dogs!

So, on a more happy note, I wanted to give you an update on all the fun things Henry is now doing.

Henry's new skills:
- He can walk backward. It is his new favorite thing to do.
- He has (pretty good) problem solving skills
- He has figured out how to lay on his stomach and push backward to get under the baby gate. We have it high enough for the cat to sneak threw on the bottom (for some reason Chaos will not jump over them).
- He has a book that has 3 small ducks that fit in a pouch and he can now put them in and take them out. Plus, he has a big duck that does not fit, but he tries by taking one little duck out, then two little ducks out, then an empty pouch. Amazing watching him try to figure things out.
-He can turn on/off the TV. If we are watching a show and it ends, he turns off the TV before the credits are over. No good wasting energy right!
-He can help put his toys away.
-He can successfully go potty on the toilet. (Who knew this would be such a huge milestone!)
-He says a bunch of words (probably about 15-20 consistently)
-He signs a ton of words (probably about 50), plus he is using the sign for "more" correctly.
-He has sounds for at least 5 animals (cat, monkey, owl, duck, sheep).
-He can (sometimes) sit on his ride-on Nemo car and go forward. He usually goes backwards first, but eventually goes forward a little.
-He can "prep" for a summer-salt. Hands down, Head down. The push we are still working on.
-He can turn in a circle for the Hokey Pokey.
-He can identify (as in point to) most of the major body parts (Head, tummy, toes, eyes, ears, nose, mouth).
-He now can get Dee Dee to chase him. He bates her (by sticking some kind of food in her face) then runs. And she follows to eventually get the food. He things it is a great game.
-He now prefers to go down the slide on his tummy.

I am sure he is doing more, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

As for us, we have everything moved into the storage unit, everything in the pantry, and most of the dining room ready for the change of the doors. This week, Henry and I are going to be pretty busy, (classes, storytime, plus a cookie exchange playdate). Andrew is consistently getting busier at work as the start up date approaches. Grandma took her practical for Hypnotherapy, so she is just going to take it easy until the new year. Dexter is sleeping in more, which we say is because he is getting old. Dee Dee is still Henry's best friend. Chaos is still our big 'ol cat. All 3 now sit at the base of the high chair waiting for the goodies to fall.







1 comment:

Nepsi said...

If you have too much trouble with company A then contact the BBB. I've actually gotten money settlements before just from writing a letter to them. I am going to think long and hard before buying our next house. I swear the house knows as soon as we get our tax refund and stuff promptly breaks and always costs $1000+ to fix at a pop.