Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Waking up to a crazy ball of fur.



The last few night here in the desert, have been quite pleasant. It has been cooling off, and we have been sleeping with our door open. It has been wonderful having the fresh air come in. I always sleep much better this way. When we invested in a screen door, we got one of the heavy duty screens. Since the dogs would scratch it (especially when they would see something outside), the mesh of the screen is a high quality metal. So far, the dogs have not been able to scratch through it, but Dexter did knock it off the rail once...so now we have a baby gate up in front of it to keep the dogs in.

Now that we have a cat, we have a whole new set of problems. Chaos jumps to the top of the baby gate and likes to use the screen as a scratching post. Again, another thing the cat is not supposed to scratch, but he does anyway. Can someone please tell me why we have a cat tree? Maybe, I should call it our dog tree. This morning (at 5:45 AM) I heard the cat trying to scale the gate and I yelled and squirted the squirt bottle in that general direction. I fell back asleep until about 6AM when I heard him using the screen as a scratching post. So, I yelled again, squirted again, and it stopped, but I did not hear the jingle of his collar telling me that he had jumped down. So, I looked over and I could not see him. I put my glasses on and looked again. I still could not see him even though the world was in focus. The curtain was a little bit ruffled and I thought maybe he was caught in the curtain between the screen and the gate, so I got out of bed and walked over to the door. As soon as I touched the curtain there was a crazy, hissing, spitting, mewing, ball of fur that pounced on me. Needless to say, my heart was racing and my foot was aching (that is where he landed), but Chaos thought it was all in good fun.

One of my friends told me that we should have named him Jackpot, because that is what he hit when we found him. But I think Chaos is a very appropriate name.

No comments: