Friday, November 14, 2008

What a date night!

So, last week Andrew took me to a Dinner Theater for Date Night. It was in Scottsdale and it was called Murder at Magic Manor. So, Scottsdale, for those of you who are not familiar with the Phoenix area, is a city full of night life. It has tons of bars, and most of the time you get all dressed up for them, so not your average "chill, drink beer, and eat peanuts kind of bar". Fancy Martini bars, high end 5 Star restaurants, the best spas in the valley is what you find in Scottsdale. So, I was expecting to go to a Manor style house and have dinner in the dining room then have more of an interactive murder mystery "Clue" type date. Boy of boy, was I sadly mistaken. We go to the address and the place is attached to Kam's Garden Chinese Restaurant. Not only was it attached to it, it was the banquet hall of the Chinese restaurant. Yes...that is right. You had to enter Kam's and go to the back of the restaurant to get into the "theater" which had circular tables, those fancy mirror and glass chandeliers and a "stage" up front. We sat down at our table and we were told that we had been given new identities for the night. Andrew was "Bill Yonaire". He was a rich mogul from Las Vegas looking to recruit talent for his hotel. And I was "Lucy Goosie". I was a manic "cheek" pincher who was just let out of the loony bin. So...long story short on the names...It took until Monday for me to get why "cheek" was in quotes. For my defense, I just had a baby and I want to pinch his cheeks (on his face) all the time! Most of you know that I don't get innuendos anyway...I am just not wired that way. As my mom would say, I need more Fire! So first course was salad (with thousand Island, you didn't get a choice) and bread. They did the first act. Then the main course came out. Chicken with Cream of Mushroom soup, a baked potato, and steamed veggies. I had my money on Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Andrew thought it would be beef and broccoli. During the second act Andrew got picked to go up on stage to be a "show girl". It was SO funny! I took some pictures with my camera phone. They are blurry because of the camera phone resolution and because I was laughing so hard.
Poor Andrew he ALWAYS gets picked. He was the Indian for the Village people on a cruise we took with some friends, and in Hawaii he was picked to be Toto in a comedy routine enactment of the Wizard of Oz. He has a good time and I get a good laugh out of it. I don't even think he gets embarrassed anymore! I just wish I would have remembered that my phone could take video...that would have been really funny. Then the third course was Chocolate Cake and the end of the show. I don't know if I would recommend it to people, but I had a good time. I had two margaritas (Livin' it up!) and my husband was picked to go on stage and dance. I would recommend people who go there to #1 drink before hand because it was much funnier during the second margarita, and #2 don't go for the food.

But it was something different and we will have memories for years to come!

No comments: