Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's raining, it's pouring....and we are hiking again!

I guess we are really trying to live up to the "Oregonian" name. We have been told that it rains so much here, you just have to get used to doing stuff in the rain. Well, we had a very impromptu hike on Saturday up to Mirror Lake at the base of Mount Hood. The weather was "morning showers" so we were hoping that with an hour and a half drive it would start to clear up by the time we got there. Well, the weather was not nearly as cooperative as it was at Silver Falls. It was rainy/misty the entire time and once we got to the lake it was SO foggy, we could not even see Mt. Hood. But we had a nice hike and we actually let Henry run around. He was absolutely fascinated with every rock on the trail. So he only walked about 200 feet, but it took him about 10 minutes to do it.

On Sunday, we drove down to Monmouth for one of Henry's AZ friends 1st B-Day party. Her Grandmother lives there and it was her first time to visit OR. It was a big day for Henry because we actually made an attempt to comb his hair. He was SO cute, but he started messing his hair up about 15 minutes after we combed it. On our way, we decided to stop at one of the wineries that we were not able to got to and we ended up buying another bottle of wine. Henry had a good time there too. He was able to walk around and see the grapes. Henry had a good time at the B-day party and the weather was completely opposite as Saturday. Sunny and quite warm. This week, we are supposed to be up in the 90's again...I am SO glad that we decided to keep the AC unit. At least now it is cooling off at night to where it is cold (like 50 degrees). But I have a bucket ready for anyone who tries to convince me that Oregon has a mild summer (because their pants are on FIRE!).

Yesterday, Henry and I started swim lessons. This was another saga. The classes at the YMCA were canceled due to low enrollment. So, I had to register and pay the "out of district" fee. I called the swim center and the lady told me to be there at 7:30 AM. So Henry and I showed up about 7:45. We filled out the paperwork and explained to them how I live "in-district" but don't have an OR license so need to pay the "out of district" fee. The guy was like "oh, I will just waive the fee". So, I was excited. But then it turns out that the software they have on the internet is the "old version". So, when they updated the district lines on the new version, we are across the street from the district boundaries. So, we had to pay the fee anyway. Luckily, Andrew still wanted to do Saturday lessons with Henry, so we are actually getting a better deal per lesson than the YMCA. So after we got all entered into the computer system, the guy at the swim center tried to sign us up and it turns out they could not actually register us until 8:30AM. So I had to drive home and call in to finish registration. What a hassle!

Henry absolutely floored me yesterday. We were getting ready for swim lessons and I was putting his swim diaper on. The swim diapers have Nemo (fish) on the front and Squirt (turtle) on the back. He pointed to Nemo and made the fish sign. I flipped the diaper over and said "Henry, do you know what his is?" and he looked at me and said "Turtle". Then he showed me a sign that is very similar to his butterfly sign and I realized that he was doing turtle half the time I thought he was doing butterfly. It took me about 5 minutes to pick my chin up off the floor because I had no idea he knew what a turtle was, nonetheless able to say it! We had a good time at swim lessons and learned lots of new songs to sing in the pool.







No comments: