Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pirate Park.....Arrrr(choo) and swim lessons

We didn't actually get to go down to Silver Falls Park this past weekend because Henry was not feeling well. He developed a runny nose on Friday afternoon. He woke up Saturday with a very low grade fever so we decided that if we tried to take him out all day, it would be bad for all of us. I think we will try again this weekend, even though it is a holiday weekend and I am sure it will be very busy.

Instead we Saturday afternoon we walked to a park in Bethany called "Pirate Park" They have two play structures there that are in the shape of pirate ships. Henry had a lot of fun, but is not really crazy about doing down slides that are enclosed. The park was not busy at all for a Saturday. This was because there is no easy and quick way to get to the park. You have to walk atleast 1/4 a mile to get there. Andrew and I parked a little way down and walked about 1 mile and a half. Henry had a good time playing with Daddy at the park. On Sunday we didn't really do much. Just the usual lazy Sunday activities.

Henry loves wearing hats now. Andrew and I are going to have to get him a ball cap that fits him. He loves wearing any hat he can but usually only wears it for a few seconds. He puts it on, gets excited, runs around, makes the hat sign, realizes he is wearing the hat, then pulls it off to see it. Henry has also climbed up onto and down off the couch without hurting himself. He is getting so big.

Last week, I decided that I wanted to sign Henry up for swim lessons. I wanted to do the Infant Survival lessons when we got back to Oregon, but since we are going on a cruise at the end of October I thought I would get him the lessons before we leave. This is mostly because he has started showing more of an interest in water. I searched and they don't offer them in Oregon in our area. I would have to drive about 45 minutes to the nearest place...which I think is odd because you would think that somewhere near Portland would have it. I guess they figure there is not enough pools to make it worth it here. So I will have to wait until I get back to AZ. Then I decided on a mommy and me class. I found a place that offered them for $35. When I called to sign up the people were very unhelpful and unfriendly. They would not let me sign up because I had to prove we were "in-district". I told them we were and gave them our address, but because I didn't have an Oregon state ID or Driver's license to told me I was out of luck. So I called the DMV, they will not let me get any form or Oregon ID unless I surrender my AZ license. Since that would be a nightmare, I decided to see if there was a way to sign up without being "in-district". So I called the rec center back and again very unfriendly, but told me that I could sign up for an additional fee. Instead of $35 it would be $90! Can you believe that. We live, work and pay taxes in Oregon (at least Andrew does) and they won't believe you live where you say you live unless you have a current OR state ID. Lease or piece of mail does not work like it did at the library! So I was all upset and I found a YMCA to take the classes at. I am waiting until I get my online ID to sign Henry up. Hopefully we will have that done by the end of the week.






1 comment:

Nepsi said...

That is not cool. Is there a way to report them because they are denying you a service that you should be getting at the same price as other residents?